Monday, February 25, 2013

DIY Art

I had collected a few canvases that I had gotten at a bargain and wanted to create some kind of art.  I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted and even tried a few things that failed miserably.  If you look real hard in the pictures you might can see evidence of those failures, but I love the texture it adds, so all is good.
 
 
 
 
 I had bought 3 of these little paint kits a couple of years ago at Hobby Lobby on sale for a $1 or $2.  They came with a little paint brush, which I have put to good use, and a few little pots of paint.
 



I bought this larger one last week at Hobby Lobby and it was on clearance for $1.40.  I knew when I bought it that I didn't like the look of it, but at that price I could do something that I DID like.
 
 
 
 
 
I started out by priming these so that the print would not show through.  I used a spay primer by Zinsser Bin Primer.
 
 
 
 




Next step was a base coat in the color of my choice.
 
 
 
 




I was making this up as I went along.  I felt like it needed a boarder or something to define the space.  So, I taped the edges off with painters tape to create this boarder.
 
 
 
 
The next thing I did was add a second color, Black, and just smear it on.  I wanted some variation of color.
 
 
 
I did the same thing with the little ones.
 
 
 
I used a stencil to create the "Art" in the center, and then removed the painters tape. 
 
 
 









And here they are as a group.  Please excuse the chair, I'm not sure why I choose this location for the group picture.  I haven't figured out where I want to hang these, but wherever they end up, I know that they will add a special touch.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
If you aren't a follower, please feel free to follow along.  I have 4 tables in my garage that are getting a makeover, you won't want to miss their reveals!
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!
    Homa style is having an Inspire Me link party that just started!
    I would love it if you linked up:)
    Here's the link
    http://homastyle.com/wp/2013/02/27/inspire-me-link-party/

    I do my best to market the inspiring projects through my social media sites and follow too:)

    ReplyDelete