Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Not only am I suffering from inspiration overload, but now I am trying to sort out how to be a blogger.  I have been reading blogs for about two years now and I can honestly say, you guys make it seem easy.  I'm not finding it to be so easy.  I think if I understood the technical stuff better I could sort through some of this better.  I have a lot to learn, and look forward to improving my blogging skills as I go, and that is hard for me.  I like to know what I'm doing and know that I can do it well before jumping into something. 

I want to show another project that I did that now sits next to the two candle holders from my last post.  I bought a decorative plate and the stand, several months ago, at a yard sale for $2.00.  I did not like the fruit that was painted on it but I knew I could change it.  Sorry, I did not take a picture of the fruit, but just image grapes and an apple.

Here I have painted it a neutral beige color that I already had on hand.  I then went to Graphics Fairy and looked at all the wonderful things she has to offer.  I have always been drawn to Fleur de lis and found just want I was looking for.  I printed to out and kind of tore the edges off because I wanted a ruff edge.

                                                           I used coffee to age the paper
                                     Once the paper dried, I used Mod Podge to attach it to the plate.

Using the coffee aged the paper nicely, but it didn't give me the look I wanted.  So, I got out my paint and mixed it with a little water to make a kind of glaze and just smeared it on. 

I am a messy Do It Yourselfer, I use my fingers, paper towels, paint brushes, whatever gets the job done for me.  Here is the finished project. 


I am linking to Savvy Southern Style's WOW Us Wednesday.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Cute idea and glad to have you on board. Linked up better than some oldie bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love the look. You did a great job and the colors are wonderful. I think the plate and the candlesticks are both really lovely. Welcome to Blogland. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a cute idea. I should go over to The Graphics Fairy and check out some of her images. Looks like a lot of great ideas can emerge from her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! That is really neat. Fleue di lis are one of my all time favorite things. Pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete